All of these places are accessible with public transportation. Directions will be found on their web sites, listed under the “useful websites” list.
* Hessen Park – This is a historical open-air museum, showing how people lived a long time ago, without modern technology. The buildings are mainly half-timbered style farmhouses, with farming as well as various skills being demonstrated along with workshops to participate in. Hessen Park is a great place for grown-ups too! They recently have opened a Synagogue moved from a small town, and now have 2 old Synagogues to visit. They have a wide variety of events going on so check their website. Hessen Park
* Saalburg – The only reconstructed Roman fort in existence, created under the direction of Kaiser Wilhelm over 100 years ago. Located in the Taunus mountains near Bad Homburg, this is where the Romans kept their watch on the Germanic tribes of the area. Trails lead along the old walls and fortifications and a “Taverna” offers typical Roman food. “Roman markets” are occasionally held here. (see events posts or website) This is a wonderful place for kids to run around and see how the Romans lived and worked in their daily lives. Take bus #5 from the Bad Homburg Bahnhof.
Saalburg Roman Fort
* Lochmühle – Combination of kids activities and rides, playgrounds, pony rides, picnic area. Perfect for birthday parties.
* Opel Zoo – This zoo is located outside of Frankfurt so that the elephants would have more space than what was available in the Frankfurt city Zoo. Lots of play activities and playgrounds here. The bus stops right in front of it.
Opel Zoo Video
* Fun Forests – Several locations, between Bad Homburg and Friedrichsdorf, Wiesbaden, Offenbach, and Darmstadt. Pretty much for any child over the age of 8-9 and great fun for teens and adults. You have to make your way from tree to tree on various elements, like logs, tires, nets, etc. but always safely cabled. Different courses are available depending on size & ability. Lots of zip lines too! Check for opening dates as some of them close down for the winter. Sometimes listed as Kletterwald or Hochzeil Garten, as well as Fun Forests. They all offer birthday party specials.