Many people who tour with us are vegetarian and vegan. Because sausages and schnitzels are so popular in Germany, they are a bit anxious about whether it will be difficult to find something to eat in German restaurants. Hopefully, this post will set their minds at ease.
Most restaurants will have several listings for vegetarian meals. This may be salads, pastas, an au-gratin dish, flammkuchen, or soups. Germans like to eat seasonally, so during certain times of the year, like in May, you will find lots of asparagus dishes on the menu. Later in the year, it may be various mushrooms like chantarelles (pfifferlinge), pumpkin dishes, or members from the cabbage family.
Eating Vegan means you may need to order ala carte, but decent restaurants are usually happy to create a platter of veggies for you. Going to ethnic restaurants is often a good option, whether Indian, Asian, Middle Eastern or Turkish. Lots of produce stands are located in the main underground stations and they offer large cups of cut-up fruits for 1.50-2 € as well as fruit smoothie stands. Look at the lower levels of the main subway stops, like Konstablerwache or the Hauptwache for these stands.
We will list as many restaurants and stores as possible, and if you find a new one, please let us know. These are all just suggestions of course because we haven’t visited all of them personally. Tell us if you liked them or recommend them. Many of these places can also be found on Facebook.
* Zeil Kitchen Located right in the middle of the Zeil
M-Sat. 9-23:00, Sun. 12-22:00
* Kulie Alma Zum Jungenstrasse 10
T-F 12:00-23:00, Sat 17:00-23:00, Sun 12:00-22:00. Closed Mon.
* Hummus Küch Textorstrasse 31
M-Sat 11:30-22:00. Closed Sun.
* Purple Acai Oederweg 63
* Falafel Express Zeil 92 at Schäfergasse
M-Sat 11:30-20:00. Closed Sun.
* Cigköftem Turkish Restaurant – Münchener Strasse 20
069-36602372 Open Daily
* Naschwerkstat Alte Gasse 27 069-15629980
* Cafe’ Apfelkern & Kolibri – Mußbachstrasse 21, Bad Homburg
T-Th. & Sun. 10-20:00, Sat. 10-22:00, Mon. closed
2nd location – Frankfurterstrassse 6, Bad Vilbel
* Savory Burgfriedenstrasse 2
T-Fr. 11:30-20:00 Sat. 11:00-16:00
* Rohkosteria Sandweg 6
M-F 08:00-20:00 Sat.& Sun. 09:00-20:00
VEGETARIAN & VEGAN OPTIONS (but some may also serve meat)
* VEVAY – Vegetarian & Vegan Neue Mainzerstrasse 20
Mon-Sat. 10:00-23:00 Sun. 10:00-16:00
* Taste of India – Berger Str. 14 & Gartenstrasse 48
Great lunch buffet with at least 6 Vegan options
* Falafel & Mehr -Vegan & Vegetarian Bergerstrasse 74
M-Sat. 11-21:00 Sun. 11-19:00
* Saravanaa Bhavan– Vegetarian Indian Restaurant, Kaiser Str. 66
11:00 – 22:30 every day
* Ginkgo – Berger Str. 81,
Sun.-Th. 9-midnight, Fri. & Sat. 9-01:00
A varied menu to suit everybody, with quite a few Vegan & Vegetarian options.
* MoschMosch – 5 locations in Frankfurt, they offer a wide variety of menu items, with many Vegan options.
STORES OFFERING MANY VEGAN PRODUCTS
* AllNatura Supermarket
* Tegut Market
* Basic Bio Supermarket
* denn’s Bio Market
* Reform Hause – everywhere in Germany
To find Vegan or Vegetarian restaurants in Europe, you can also use this website:
For anyone who is lactose intolerant, or looking for gluten-free food products and meals, many of these same places may offer items that conform to these allergies.
Celiac Help in Germany